Right in the centre of an unespoiled territory (Oasi naturalistica di Berignone Reserve), with typical essences of the Mediterranean area and where the level of pollution of the river Cecina is zero, there is this agricultural
estate of over 530 hectares, consisting of two adjoining farms, converted to organic agriculture since 1994. Part of this extension of land (300 hectares) is cultivated with cereals (corn, sunflowers, mais). The land can easily be irrigated using wells. The woodland covering 185 hectares allows the breeding of cattle in the wild.
A vineyard of 16 Ha is also available, producing sangiovese, merlot and cabernet wines, kept in the modern cellars, recently renovated. There are also 2 olivegroves of 5 ha, mostly planted after the frost of 1985, in good vegetative condition and able to produce an extraordinary extra virgin olive oil. The property works also as agriturismo, thanks to the vicinity of Pomarance, Montecatini, Volterra, Massa Marittima, San Gimignano, Siena. Fo rent there are 10 apartments. 2 pools (one for adults and one for children). More than 1000 sqm are still available for
restoration and conversion into more living space. The main complex offers an historical villa and a country house on 2 floors.
Particularly interesting is the garden which is a natural terrace overlooking the valley with the natural oasis
of Berignone landscape. There is also a complex with an elagant villa and a farmhouse of two floors, both surrounded by a park with oaks and cypresses, known as the Gemini family villa, being part of the important French family of Larderel. The villa is on three floors. An external staircase leads to first floor, which was the piano nobile, while the ground floor, occupied by cellars and storage, is connected to the second floor by an internal staircase.
There is a restoration project approved to convert the villa into a luxury hotel with large rooms, conference room, restaurant and pool with changing rooms. The property is being sold with all the machinery available.
AREA INFOS:The fortress Sillana, perched on a rocky hill at about 530 meters above sea level, dominating a vast territory comprising the provinces of Siena, Pisa and Grosseto. The site has always been strategically important to control the valley of the river Cecina and the surrounding minor valleys. The legend wants to date the origin of the small fortress in Roman times, precisely during the civil war between Marius and Sulla, and that from it derives its name. Anyway the tower and the inside of the fence should go back only to the 1200 century while the outer perimeter walls, can be dated with certainty to the middle of 1400. Historians attribute the authorship of the project to the famous architect Giuliano da Sangallo. Once up on the ramparts we can easily understand the strategic importance of the position and enjoy a splendid panorama of the river Cecina .